STEM Certification Program
A framework for 21st-century STEM learning
In today’s global information- and technology-driven economy, successful individuals must be both STEM literate and capable of exercising 21st-century skills such as creativity, communication, collaboration, and persistence.
The GSA STEM Education Framework sets out a vision for STEM teaching and learning that prepares students to live and work in the modern world.
- Based on the latest learning science and education research
- Developed by the New York Academy of Sciences, a 200-year-old institution dedicated to advancing scientific research, education, and policy, and SRI Education, a division of SRI International and an established leader in STEM education research, instructional design, implementation, and evaluation
- Reviewed by an international advisory board of education experts
An open educational resource
The GSA STEM Education Framework is a freely available resource to be used by anyone engaged in STEM education—curriculum developers, content providers, teachers, students, parents, school leaders, policymakers, and philanthropists—to ensure that their efforts align to sound pedagogy and best practices.
The framework outlines 26 features of quality STEM education in 3 fundamental areas:
- Core Competencies: To what extent are students provided with opportunities to develop essential 21st-century skills?
- Instructional Design: To what extent do the materials and/or program design reflect research-based pedagogy and a cohesive system of learning objectives, supports, and assessment resources?
- Implementation: To what extent are necessary supports or services available to facilitate distribution and ensure effective implementation?
Recognizing quality STEM resources
STEM education is more important than ever—and countless organizations are developing and promoting STEM content, resources, and instructional programs for the education sector. Yet little objective information exists to help decision makers identify high-quality materials.
The GSA STEM Certification Program addresses this need by reviewing and certifying materials that align to the GSA STEM Education Framework.
How It Works
- Submit materials for review. Any curriculum, set of instructional materials, educational program, or product intended for formal or informal STEM learning may be reviewed, including instructional software, online courses, educational games, apps, and professional development resources.
- Reviews conducted by independent experts. All reviews are performed by a panel of experts with advanced degrees and deep knowledge related to the subject matter, grade level, and intended audience of the materials under review.
- Receive actionable feedback. Each review concludes with a detailed report of how the materials align to each element of the framework.
- Receive GSA Certification. Materials that adequately align to the framework will receive official certification from the New York Academy of Sciences’ Global STEM Alliance, an initiative designed to advance STEM education worldwide.
Benefits of Certification
- Recognition that your materials reflect best practices
- Official New York Academy of Sciences certification seal for use in promotional materials
- Recognition on our website
- Promotional opportunities through the Global STEM Alliance, a coalition of more than 200 partners in 50 countries and regions around the world